Fuqua Application: December 17th

With my essays done, I submitted my application around Noon on December 1st.  A few days later, I got a confirmation from the admissions office confirming all of my materials were submitted properly, and that I could expect a decision in 4-6 weeks.

Normally, waiting 4-6 weeks would be a big deal, but since this was running into the holiday season, I expected to receive my decision in early 2009.  In the meantime, I had just proposed to my girlfriend the day after Thanksgiving, so there was still plenty of people to tell, work was making the push for the end of the year profit target, and Christmas was in the air.

On December 17th, my department had its annual holiday party at a local microbrewery, starting at 3 p.m.  Like a good employee, I arrived at the “meeting” early!  Around 4:30, my cell phone started ringing, with a number I didn’t recognize. Feeling festive, I picked up the phone (a rarity for those who know me):

Duke:  Hi Randy, this is the Fuqua Admissions office.  How are you doing today?

Me:  Good?  (What did I forget to send?)

Duke:  Glad to hear it.  I just wanted to tell you that you have been accepted into the Cross Continent program!  A FedEx envelope will arrive at your home tomorrow.

Hmm.  Maybe I need to put down my beer and find somewhere quiet!

After a few minutes of shock, we finished our conversation, and I grabbed my beer and went back to the party.  I couldn’t believe that the decision came less than two weeks after Fuqua confirmed my application!

And that was that.  I still had a ton of unanswered questions (mainly, how am I going to pay for this?), but I figured I could work out the details later. I got in to Fuqua!!!

One thing I did know at that moment was this:  I would not be applying to Wharton.  I decided to end my business school journey 1 for 1 ; once I heard back from Fuqua the furthest thing from my mind was ‘Where else?’ Like getting married, when you know, you know.

Related Posts:

Comments are closed.