It’s 9:00pm in San Diego when I start this. It’s 12:00pm in China. It’s 5:00am in London. It’s 8:00am in Dubai and Russia. It’s 9:30am in India. (Please forgive what I’m certain are minor fluctuations in those time zones.)
I’ve spent most of the day thinking about my classmates. Thinking about the journey we’re about to embark on. Wondering how our lives are going to change from the connections we will make and from the experiences we will be afforded. Imagining the businesses we’re going to create and lives we’re going to impact.
I’ve spent most of the day thinking about my classmates. Which is somewhat ironic since I was laid off about 12 hours ago from Callaway Golf. For a multitude of reasons, the company is restructuring in a major way in attempt to combat a saturated domestic industry, a flawed business model and the pains of being middle-sized in an ever-increasing “big boys” industry. With our CEO and multiple VPs handed pink slips, I know I shouldn’t take it personally. But that’s just not how I’m hardwired. Never having been in this situation before, I would have thought my sights would be set squarely on me right now. How could I not be part of a long-term plan for my company? Did I really just commit four years of my life for this kind of exit? What is next? What interviews can I line up? Where should I live? What challenges await? Can I regain a sense of normalcy?
This post is a re-post of an email I received from the Duke Global Entrepreneurship Network group on LinkedIn:
On November 18th, we’ll be hosting the 5th DukeGEN multi-city Networking Event. If you have any questions, contact Matthew Yung, Director of Events, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cities we’ve confirmed so far: (Please check the RSVP page for city specific details)
- Austin (RSVP here) – Stephen Portnoy ’89, Scott Thomas ’96, Kirstin Widding ’93 (Wed 11/17) @ Stephen F.’s Bar and Terrace
- Bangalore (RSVP here) – Ashwin Haleyur ’08 @ Ebony
- Boston (RSVP here) – Chris Wolfington ’96, Swetha Kolluri ’09 @ Brandy Pete’s
- Charlotte (RSVP here) – Greg Simmons ’11 (Wed 11/17) @ Maggiano’s South Park Mall
- Chicago (RSVP here) – Eric Goss ’92, Pere Rigo ’00 @ 3rd Coast Cafe
- Cincinnati (RSVP here) – Linda Young ’94 ’04 @ Parkers Blue Ash Tavern (recent change of venue)
- Los Angeles (RSVP here) – Tom Freestone ’11, Carolyn Nohejl ’10, Jennifer Beall ’05, Nicole Desrosiers ’05 ’11 @ Ye Olde King’s Head
- New York (RSVP here) – Jozef Krakora ’10, Tom Powell ’09 @ Hotel on Rivington
- Philadelphia (RSVP here) – John Neclerio ’90, Huyen Tran ’09 @ Con Murphy’s
- Pittsburgh –cancelled
- Research Triangle Park (RSVP here) – Howie Rhee ’04, Gautham Pandiyan ’08 ’09 @ The Speakeasy at Tyler’s Taproom in Durham
- San Francisco (RSVP here) – Michael Cann ’95, Matt Koidin ’05 (Tue 11/16) @ Vino Locale in Palo Alto from 6-8pm. Additional dinner discussion at 8pm (RSVP required) about early stage financings with Mike Pisetsky B ’08, L ’08 @ Vero in Palo Alto. Vino Locale and Vero are a few blocks from one another.
- Seattle (RSVP here) – Thomas Flemmig ’08, Ryan Luce ’94, Nishanth Lingamneni ’06 @ Rob Roy
- Washington DC (RSVP here) – T. Reid Lewis ’84, Sara Allen ’01, Norissa Giangola ’92, Rachel Fefer ’95 ’02 @ One Lounge
For those of you who have never heard of DukeGEN, the main purpose of this group is to help those who are interested in entrepreneurship help network, find resources, and generally share knowledge and ideas about starting and developing new businesses. I attended one of the DukeGEN events on Venture Capital during the Durham residency, and from my limited experience and everything I’ve heard, Howie Rhee and the many others involved always do a great job with all these events. But of course, a forum/network like this is only as useful as those who take part…
I have RSVP’ed for the Philadelphia event, so barring any unforeseen work issues or Fuqua deadlines I’m not thinking about, I’ll be there.
Looking forward to meeting all of you entrepreneurs…drop a message in the ‘Comments’ section if you planning on attending Philly (or any other event for that matter)!